The village can trace its history back to 1100, but it is likely that there was a villlage here from early times. Through the centuries it has passed through many families. But it was the coming of coal mining in 1824 that established the village. It remained a mining village until 1962 when the mine closed. Today it still retains its mining identity, through the miners institute (now the village community centre), the welfare park (home to Rugby, Football, bowls and other village activities). It has grown in size and at the last census(2001) its population was 2927.
Above: Seghill in 1864